List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kmail & koffice
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-26 0:14:16

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 10:05:50AM +1000, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2000, David Faure wrote:

> > > IMHO this is not the intention of KOShell - it's just a KOffice Super Window,
> > > like dep said :)
> > >
> > > Konqueror is a viewer - so, again IMHO, it's not designed to embed kmail.
> > >
> > > As I've said twice, this is MHO!
> >
> > It is also a design decision for konqueror. In the OpenParts days, it used to
> > be itself embeddable (in koshell, for choosing a file to open), but we ruled
> > that out and koshell uses a simple file-selection dialog.
> > I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere :-)
> >
> > It also made konqueror's design a lot more complex, for a not very
> > useful feature.
> >
> > (You might think: let's not embed the full konqueror but just one of
> > its views, like the icon view, but that is not possible, since
> > koshell is a very stupid koffice mainwindow, does nothing but embed parts,
> > whereas the konqueror mainwindow does _a lot_).
>
> This is interesting, so for the kde-pim project when we come to merging the
> organizer/mail-client/adress-book we might be best of merging their mainwindow
> code rather than making each of these things an embeddable part then?

I don't see why you're saying that - the point here is that konqueror in itself
is already a kparts mainwindow, so embedding it in a super-mainwindow doesn't
really make sense. But turning many apps into parts and embedding them
into a common framework (e.g. mainwindow) makes sense - it's exactly
what the current work in kdegraphics (kviewshell) is about.

> I am wondering what the best way of merging these projects is.
>
> Actually I had been thinking that there could be multiple mail-client/address
> book parts and the user would choose the one they liked.
Yes - much like the texteditor interface currently being developed in kdelibs
(of which kwrite is an implementation). Or much like browserextension, etc.

http://home.clara.net/faure/