List:       koffice
Subject:    Splitted view for KOffice apps?
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-25 14:31:28

Hi!

Today I remembered a discussion with David some weeks ago,
where we did a little brainstorming about doc/view and
action stuff.

Somehow David came to the conclusion that it would be
nice to have an additional possibility to view a document.

Currently one has to open another window to get an additional
view of a document (e.g. KWord: View -> New View...). What
about adding a "View -> Split" item much like in (x)emacs,
but limited to one single document? This means it would be
possible to split the "main area" of the application and
view two different parts (hehe - out of vocabulary :) of
one document. Whenever the document changes, *both* views
are updated to show the new document.

Due to that "link" this is no MDI, but rather a multiple view
SDI (or so :).

To give you a idea of what it will look like, just think of
a splitted view in konqueror.

The advantages of that splitting are:
+ We don't waste that much screen real estate with toolbars, as
  we don't have two main windows, but only one.
+ The user is able to see/work on two different parts of the
  document at the same time without arranging the windows in
  this special way :) It's also easier to "resize" the different
  parts because there is only one splitter instead of two
  windows.

Disadvantages:
- Is this "easy to use", intuitive?

What do you think about it? What does kde-look think about it,
Waldo? Maybe you can cross post it, because I'm not subscribed
(/me ducks :)

--
Werner Trobin - wtrobin@mandrakesoft.com