List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword DTD (was "Koffice file format version numbers?")
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-05-25 13:16:25

Hi Kalle,

>What would happen if you try to read a file with a newer version number
>than your KWord binary? Or should the version number not be encoded
>anywhere in the KWord code itself?

Good question - I'm not yet sure what the API allows. Certainly a kdError()
and possibly a message box popup...I'll know by the weekeend! If the current
API is not "perfect", then I presume that post 2.0, we'd extend it to deal
with this case.

BTW, I realise that if we could guarantee that all changes were upwards
compatible, we might be able to carry on in some failsafe mode, but that
will depend on things I cannot predict (and do not want to control!). For
example, let us imagine that the FORMAT section was enhanced in a newer
version of Kword - an older binary might simply be able to skip
tags/attributes it does not recognise.

Thanks, Shaheed