List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord development
From:       "Jacques Chester" <jacques.chester () student ! usyd ! edu ! au>
Date:       2000-05-22 3:48:30

> Well, I have to say that I'm definitely impressed. : )

As am I. Being the pure opportunist that I am, I
was eyeing off an entry into the opensource world
by way of KOffice. Seems I've been pipped to the
punch by someone far more capable.

On the other hand, competition is healthy. I'm
only discussing a vapour.com here but the idea
(to my mind) is sound. KOffice, shrinkwrapped
with extras? Why not!

Of course, shrinkwrap sales help to generate
the revenue to support further development of
KOffice. For myself personally, I'd send some
hackers after:

 * Pure bug-fixing.
 * Possible auto-CVS integration for file versioning
   and groupware foundations
 * Some kind of groupware architecture, as well.

Plus perhaps look into hiring a UI person or two.
Just how tightly coupled *is* KOffice to its UI,
btw?

[..]
> I'm excited about what these new developers can bring with them
> though. It's an exciting time to be a Free Software user. : )

It certainly is. I'm looking to buy a second HDD
and see if I can ditch Windows for good. I've
had an on-and-off relationship with Linux for
quite some time now; but HTML just does not cut
the cheese for creating glamourous reports. The
pending one-point-oh release of KOffice holds
great promise for allowing me to kick this
Windows habit of mine :)

As an OT aside for Shawn: the name of your
package - "PowerPlant" - rings a bell for me.
I think it's the name of the Metrowerks
foundation classes for Mac OS development. If
that's the case you may run into a cease and
desist, as they would have strong claims that
you are infringing on a trademark.

Of course my memory may be faulty. In any case
it's worth checking :)

be well;

JC.