List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Doc/View and actions :)
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-11 20:02:14

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > A few days ago there was this Doc/View discussion on
> > KOffice@ and I still don't know what The Right Thing(tm)
> > to do is...
> >
> > There are several pro's/con's for either having them in
> > the view or in the doc (or even some in the view and some
> > in the doc...). I'm trying to write down the advantages
> > and disadv. of some possibilities... Maybe you can comment
> > on that.
> >
> > view=the class derived from KoView
> > doc=the class derived from KoDocument (i.e. part)
> >
> > 1) Define all the actions in the view:
> > + One can provide the correct parent for a MsgBox or a
> >   Dialog easily. This means that the MsgBox/Dialog will
> >   be placed correctly (centered to its parent window).
> >   Unfortunately a modal dialog is not only modal to its
> >   parent, but to the whole app. This means if you launch
> >   KPresenter and work on two documents simultaneously every
> >   time a MsgBox/modal Dialog pops up the views of the other
> >   document is blocked, too :( I can't see a way to make a
> >   dialog modal just to "its" views...
>
> Time for the trolls to come up with a solution for this then. However, by the
> time they have a solution, we must make sure that the design of koffice is
> such that we can indeed make use of it.

Normally the Trolls are one step ahead of us - it's just that there
are too many classes to know them all... :)
Today I found a QSemiModal dialog class, which looks promising at
the first glance. It has no separate event loop, so the parent
(=view) should be able to control it. As I didn't investigate
further I'm not sure about that... Will do that now.

--
Werner Trobin - wtrobin@mandrakesoft.com