List:       koffice
Subject:    KOffice Library Cleanup?
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       2000-04-24 6:28:30

Hi!

I'm still trying to understand every single detail of
kofficecore and I have to admit that I have little
problems with some parts of it.

I don't know if I'm right, but some classes of the libs
seem to be rather obsolete or at least useless with the
new kparts stuff. I know that "it works," but there are
some strange bugs and the error handling is broken in
some classes. We've already had some discussion and even
a rewrite of some parts because of QDom, but I think we
should use KOML for the parts still using it till 1.0.
Maybe we should change this after KOffice 1.0... but I'm
not the person to decide that :) (but at least I'd
volunteer to help porting :)

Therefore I'd like to ask if you (mainly Reggie, Torben,
(David?),...) would be so kind to have a look at every
single class/method. As KDE2 and the first official
release of KOffice are just around the corner we should
try to make the libs as stable and slim as possible.

I don't know the release schedule, but I can imagine that
a KOffice 1.1 will be released soon after 1.0. Maybe even
other people start to write KOffice parts and we shouldn't
change the libs radically after 1.0 IMHO :)
There is also this "binary compat." thingy like in the
kdelibs. Currently only a few kofficecore classes use a
private data ptr and so on.

Well... now the funny part: I volunteer to help cleaning
up the libs, porting the apps, and so on, but some expert
has to tell me what to do :)))
(The only classes I could clean up are the filter related
ones like KoFilter, KoFilterDialog, and KoFilterManager)

What do you think of this? Is this possible for our Qt
wizards after 2.1 finally has been released now?

Werner

P.S. CCed this mail to Torben because I think he is not
subscribed.