List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-21 4:58:47

> > task. I felt very enthusiastic after the multimedia-fairs
> > about kword so I assumed that it would work fine.
> It's  alpoha software, and as such, you shouldn't assume this. It only

It won't be alpha-software quite soon anymore ...

> > - It doesn't offer real WYSIWYG. I tried to print my letter
> >   in 11pt or 10pt and the output looked worse than anything
> >   I would have expected. For 12 pt (which is the default
> >   setting) it worked acceptable if your expectations aren't
> >   too high.
> This is a configuration problem, ie you have not installed your fonts into
> ghostscript, so they won't print. Read either my howto, the FAQ or both
> for more info.

Well they do print, but not exactly the right way. All other applications
I used sofar which are using the ghostscript-fonts print fine.
Besides that: how do we deal with a situation where the fonts are
not properly installed? Should the first kword-document include
some text "if your text doesn't show up correctly take a look at
Donovan Rebbechi's font-howto ..."?

> And don't blast the developers, they are doing a good job -- just keep in

I don't blast them  -- I only point out my experience I had.
KDE2beta1 will be our first public release of KDE 2.0.
So all basic things should work more or less at that point of time.

> mind that it's still a developer's release.

I know -- I keep on being reminded every day when I start to
spend a few hours on kde-development.

BTW: Many many thanks to Reggie who has begun work on the zoom-feature.

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn