List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-04-19 6:27:23

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> Now what Star office and applix do is have these cataloging systems which
> are based on text config files that :
> (1)     group fonts into famiies
> (2)     map X11 fonts to postscript font names
> (3)     make font metric files and outlines available to the app ( my
> understanding is that X11 doesn't make all the font metric info available
> )
> The problem is that these text files use idiosyncratic and non-standard
> formats. It would be much better if they used say a well documented XML
> DTD.

The other problem is that right now, it doesn't work. Or at least in SO
it doesn't. If I use an iso-8895-2 font for typing (which is the right
one for slovenians like me), I get non-latin1 letters on the screen, but
not on the paper.
I admit I have no idea what exactly is going wrong, I'm just saying it's
not so great as it might seem. I guess the only good way to deal with
this problem for us right now is to use LaTex or some other TeX based
tool (like (K)Lyx).

Marko