List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Abiword/KWord cooperation
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-18 14:07:51

Hi, thanks for contacting us about this ! This is definitely a good idea.
I am not directly involved with writing filters (well, I am but only for
KSpread's currently) - but I wanted to raise the following issue.

According to the AbiWord DTD, AbiWord saves a document as a flat XML file.
KOffice applications, however, save document in a tar.gz file, which
contains a maindoc.xml, the main document, and possibly the images in
their native format, the embedded parts from other KOffice applications,
etc. So writing a filter that can read e.g. a KWord document is
going to involve either a tar xvf from the user - good starting point,
but not very user friendly - or that AbiWord can read/write tar.gzs.
To help in this area, there is libtar
at http://www-wsg.cso.uiuc.edu/resources/libtar/
but I haven't looked into it, and there is some simple source code for
that in KDE (kdelibs/kio/ktar.*) - simple because as opposed to tar
and libtar, it doesn't support updating and removing from an archive,
but only writing the full file at once - which is exactly what KOffice
application, or any KOffice filter, needs.
IIRC AbiWord is written in c, but it shouldn't be a problem for it to
use ktar after a quick port to c (no fancy c++ features there).

Once the tar problem is solved, the next step is writing filters
between the two DTDs. You can find KWord's DTD at
http://www.nebsllc.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/kword/dtd/
and click on the version number besides kword.dtd.

I hope you will soon get an answer from the MSWord filter developer.

David.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org