List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: KOffice loading and saving progress info
From:       Michael Koch <m_koch () bigfoot ! de>
Date:       2000-03-08 16:35:04

Am Wed, 08 Mar 2000 schrieb David Faure:
> > > Asking the kview part to respect the doc/view model is definitely
> > > adding complexity for nothing.
> > >
> > > Perhaps the best solution (i.e. not to do now) would be to
> > > create an intermediate layer, just like KOParts could have been:
> > > something on top of KParts, with the document/view model,
> > > but not KOffice specific. A very good candidate for this would be
> > > KWrite, of course, if it wants to go for the document/view model.
> > > And KOffice would then use this "document/view-enabled" KParts.
> > > That's the way I thought you would do KOParts at the time,
> > > but without really knowing anything about it - and it would have had
> > > to be named otherwise anyway. :)
> >
> > Sure we can test this KO(ther)Parts with KWrite. I'm currently really
> > dissatisfied with the currewnt KWrite when loading really great files
> > ( > 50k ). Perhaps this can make it better.
>
> Those are two different issues.
> This (vapourware) KO(ther)Parts (hehe) would mean converting
> KWrite to use the doc/view model, which I don't know if it does
> (I believe the old one did, actually....)
> But the framework needs to be written first :)

KWrite uses something like a doc-view-model.

> What is the problem with loading long files with KWrite ?
> Since KWrite is a KRWP, it should show a widget before the document
> is actually loaded. Or I mean it could, if it doesn't.
> It doesn't have the KOffice problem of "I need the (full) document
> before I can show anything".

My problem in KWrite is when I write in the KWRITE-SRC-dir

kwrite highlight.cpp

kwrtie starts. All widgets except the VIEW is drawn. You can see the background
of screen behind kwrite during loading of the document. A little problem is
that the view is not drawing itself. The view calls doc-methods to draw the
text and highlight it.

> Progress info is another matter, though. You could reuse whatever I do
> for KOffice, or you could try KProgressDialog and I could steal
> your solution ;-)

;-)

I will have a look into KProgressDialog. I'm sure you can code a better
solution then mine but I will try my best.

Ciao,
Michael
--
koch@kde.org, m_koch@bigfoot.de