List:       koffice
Subject:    kde2 filters effort
From:       Peter Eirich <Eirich () erols ! com>
Date:       2000-03-07 10:43:31

I want to strongly encourage the filtering effort you have started.  If
I had the requisite software skills (but I don't) I'd help with coding.
However, I may be able to help with testing.  I have a variety of MS
Word docs that do not convert easily (for example, do not convert
properly to Star Office or Wordperfect under Windows). I could at least
help by sending someone a test document, having them convert it, make a
change, and send it back.  I could rate how accurate the conversion wasm
and point out specific problems.

I believe the article I am responding to is 100% correct in the thought
that until MS Word, Excel, and (I would add, especially) Powepoint can
be imported and exported reliably, there is no change for any other
office suite to be accepted by most users, and therefore, not much hope
for Linux on the desktop until this is done.

Regards,
Peter Eirich

pete99@technologist.com