I want to strongly encourage the filtering effort you have started. If I had the requisite software skills (but I don't) I'd help with coding. However, I may be able to help with testing. I have a variety of MS Word docs that do not convert easily (for example, do not convert properly to Star Office or Wordperfect under Windows). I could at least help by sending someone a test document, having them convert it, make a change, and send it back. I could rate how accurate the conversion wasm and point out specific problems. I believe the article I am responding to is 100% correct in the thought that until MS Word, Excel, and (I would add, especially) Powepoint can be imported and exported reliably, there is no change for any other office suite to be accepted by most users, and therefore, not much hope for Linux on the desktop until this is done. Regards, Peter Eirich pete99@technologist.com