List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: What is Kformula's status?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-02-27 21:17:38

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 04:00:56PM -0500, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 05:02:46PM +0000, C Y wrote:
> > >   Does anyone know what the current status of Kformula is? The web page on
> > > http://koffice.kde.org for Kformula hasn't been updated in some time.  Is it
> > > still at 0.0.1?  Will it be included in the KDE 2.0 release?  Sorry if I'm
> > > missing something, but this component would be important for most of my uses
> > > of a word processor, as I am a physics major and equations are part of the
> > > game.  I can't find a feature list either, so I'm really in the dark as to
> > > what it is supposed to be capable of.  Anybody have any info?
> > >
> > > (Oh, incidently, from what I have seen, KOffice is going to rock the linux
> > > world when it reaches 1.0.  Great work guys!)
> >
> > KFormula is now a library (in kdelibs), not a Part anymore (i.e.
> > not a standalone application nor a KOffice component).
> >
> > And KSpread and KWord make use of it already.
> >
> > Try them :)
>
> Yeah, this situation passed a bit unobserver, and I believe it's a pity.
> KFormula *has* to be a part IMHO. KPresenter looses 60% of its usefulness
> without a formula part. And no, including a kword part just for a formula
> doesn't cut it, IMHO. Am I wrong?

It was decided that formulas should not be parts only, because
having a document with 1000 formulas shouldn't mean embedding 1000 parts.

But ... having a part for kformula could be handy for kpresenter, yes.
(I guess presentations don't hold as many formulas as a possible
KWord document full of them)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org