List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: activity on Microsoft Word filter
From:       Marc van Kempen <marc () bowtie ! nl>
Date:       2000-02-22 10:33:25

> Just a quick note to let the list know that I am actively working on the
> Word filter for KOffice.
>
> I have some early hacks going - I can read the text (but not yet the
> formatting) of small word97 and word95 files - but am concentrating on
> building infrastructure to abstract the obscure on-disk structures a bit. I
> hope to have something to check into CVS (with help from Werner, I hope :-))
> in a few days time.
>
> My initial goal is to be able to read the "raw text" contents of a file;
> probably the only formatting will be splitting into paragraphs. After that,
> I plan to tackle formatting, probably starting with "functional" formatting
> like:
>
>     - lists
>
>     - tables
>
> Any ideas or suggestions welcome...

Are you using the mswordview library? See http://www.wvware.com.

If you don't, *please* do, there is no point in reinventing the wheel,
especially not with a complicated, prone to sudden change, format like
ms word.

Abiword uses the library internally too, if that can be combined with
the efforts of the Koffice project, the library has much better change
of reaching usable status, than any other msword filter project by itself.

As far as I understand the library is now already capable of reading Word 9
(office 2000), 8 (word 97), 7 and 6.

The licence is GPL, so that shouldn't pose a problem.

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl