List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Hello, World!
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-18 19:40:15

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 02:26:16PM -0500, Daniel Bigham wrote:
> Hey guys... I just subscribed to koffice@kde.org.
>
> My name is Daniel Bigham; I'm a 19 year old computer science student at the
> University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada.
>
> I guess I'm just generally interested in helping out with KOffice in any way
> possible.
>
> I'm a VB programmer first and foremost, which won't be directly helpful, but
> I've aquired a lot of GUI-design related skills from VB, and have a fair bit
> of programming experience.
>
> I know a tiny bit of Java, and I also know PERL somewhat (Regexps, etc).
>
> I don't know any C++ and I don't have any direct experience with programming
> on Linux.  So I'm sort of in rough shape there, but there's a always the
> time to learn.

Sure.
But KOffice is a complex piece of software. To help on KOffice, you need
to learn C++, then Qt, then kdelibs.
So first step : the Qt turorials (www.troll.no).

> Is there someone who's generally in charge here?  It'd be great if someone
> could set me up with something to work on.

No-one is really in charge. Just fire questions and hope for answers.

Check out http://koffice.kde.org !

> -Daniel
>
> PS  I don't actually have Linux on my system, which is sort of a bummer, but
> it's not entirely necessary I suppose.  I should have it on fairly soon.

Well, you need a Unix system. Whichever you want. But you can't develop
KOffice under Windows !

Once you have a Unix system, install the current version of koffice,
using cvsup. http://www.kde.org/cvsup.html

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org