List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Feature request for (new) KParts
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-26 18:59:55

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 09:13:04PM +0100, Werner Trobin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would be superb if someone could add a feature to the new KParts:
>
> Situation now: I embed a part and (normally) get and empty
> document (except I open a document in the template choose
> dia which is available in some parts).
> Wishful thinking: I embed a part and have the opportunity
> to open a document in that part.
This relates to my last post :
do you want then the document to be "copied" (i.e. completely saved
into the main file), or "linked" (i.e. the filename is saved, nothing else -
which requires the linked document not to move later on)

> Some possibilities:
> - Add an entry to the File menu (e.g. Open Document in Part...)
>   (might be misleading for users)
> - Provide this function via the context menu (RMB)
> - Add a whole menu ("Active Part" or something like that) which
>   consists of entries like "<part> Help", "About <part>",
>   "Open Document in Part...", and so on. The triggered actions
>   will be delivered to the part which is active at the moment.
See below

> In case you think this might be irritating for users please
> consider at least a possibility like the template dia for each
> part.
> It's really cool if many people can work on a huge document
> (e.g. one draws something, one writes the text, one creates the
> spreadsheets,...) at the same time and one is able to assemble
> it in the end.[1]
Then it's more of a link, isn't it ?
So that one can fix its bit later on and that fixes the whole document.

This needs very careful thinking. We don't want to implement every crap
we can think of, only what's really sensible and helpful to users.

I like including latex documents inside a main latex document, for the
exact purpose you described : merging work.
If that's the main use of this feature, I wouldn't suggest any of the UI
solutions you mention above :-) because they mean : act like embedding
an empty document and then load something into it.
What about providing the option "insert existing document" directly in
the host app ? Making clear it's a link and not a copy... Or providing
the option (but that's where it might not be sensible...), I don't know.

What this would mean would be : _one_ menu entry, which opens the file
selector, and upon matching the mimetype (hopefully a koffice one !),
the correct part gets embedded, loading the doc.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org