List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Mathematic library
From:       claus wilke <claus.wilke () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-11-13 17:11:35

Am Sam, 13 Nov 1999 schrieb Laurent montel:
> Hello
> I search a mathematic library for install new functions in KSpread
> for example statistic function : binomial distribution
>     -bessel etc...
> or trigonimetric function

Hi,
it's difficult, I have been looking for a good mathematical library several
times, and never found one. It seems the people who know how to write this
stuff are more interested in making money than in helping free software.

Two things you could consider:
1. there is goose (http://www.gnu.org/software/goose/goose.html)
It's a statistics library under the LGPL. It's written in C++
I remember that somebody wanted to integrate goose with KSpread. Has that
happened already? If not, goose might be a good starting point for adding new
functionality.

2. on the other hand, there is Octave (http://bevo.che.wisc.edu/octave/). It's
not a library, but it is a program dedicated for numerical computations (like
matlab). Octave is under the GPL and has all most of the special functions one
would want to have (error function, bessel functions, and so on). See
http://bevo.che.wisc.edu/octave/doc/octave_17.html#SEC136

Maybe one could take some code from there, or convince the authors that they
make a standalone library out of their special functions code (I don't know
anything about the details of Octave, therefore I don't know whether this is
possible or not, but presumably they already have something like a library for
this stuff).

Best,
  Claus

--