List:       kde-look
Subject:    UI standards project died (?)
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () jk ! uni-linz ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-09-16 21:13:18

I'm glad to announce, that the promising "KDE user interface
standards"-project seems to die.

After 2 months of discussing and creating the new standards-page on
http://www.esh.uni-linz.ac.at/~mother/hci/basics/index.html there seems
to be no chance to find a common line in some threads.

Especially for the Close/Exit-topic it's hard to find a common line
which is ok for all users. There are always people who want their OS/2,
MsWindows or whatever-behaviour for KDE. It's easy to critizize the
current site, but to 99% there is no solution given by these people.

Because I don't have the time and nerves to discuss 3 hours a day, I'll
stop my work on the standard-pages and hope there'll be a person/some
persons, who like to continue this work.

You can download a tarball of the page on the index-page. Feel free to
improve the standards and discuss it in the lists. I hope somebody will
continue this project - I think good User Interface Standards are one of
the most important things for a Desktop. KDE is a very good Desktop - I
hope it'll be the BEST Desktop ever with KDE2.0 and consistent UI
standards.

Thanks to all people who helped me with this project!!!! Sorry that I
give up, but currently I'm finishing my diploma thesis and my time is
rare...

Peter