List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Implementing hyphenation / wordwrap for Thai
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-09-12 20:09:32

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer sent some bits over the net composing to the following:
>I think this is much too slow for KWord. As I said, I'll have to think about
>that a bit more. It has to be done a bit more optimized. And BTW: char* is dead
>dead dead :-) Always use QString! And for KWord it has to work with KWString
>else muich too much conversation is needed which results in slowness. As I said
>it wil be possible to use the same code for all edit widgets which use QString,
>but KWord will need its own stuff as this has to work directly with KWStrings.

If you come up with something, just remember one part of Rudiger's proposal is
worth a thought:
As you said, for many apps a function
QString insert_separators(QString instr);
could help much already. But there should be something like
QString do_separate(QString instr, int position);
to allow for lang-specific rules like this "Neckar"->"Nek-kar" thingy.
("c"->"k-") conversion, maybe Thai has no "-" at all or makes the beginning of
the second syllable AFTER the separation some sort of "uppercase"... ;-))
Everybody confused?

--

Ciao,
   /  /