List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Printing "strange" fonts
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-09-01 12:52:59

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> > >Hmm, I think I already painted TrueType using Postsript. Under windows
> > >it "just" ships the fonts in the postscript document.
> >
> > How does this work. I mean I really don't know a lot about postscript, but do
> > you mean by extending QPrinter we can print TrueType fonts?
> >
> Well, I had to boot windows to know for sure. But I remember quite well
> the
> options in the postscript driver to transfer the TrueType fonts or if I
> want
> to use Postscript fonts. I know about Postscript as much as the file
> extension,
> but I guess you have to describe the fonts yourself and this is going to
> be a
> major rewrite. But it has to work somehow as windows can print on our
> postscript
> printer just fine using any kind of fonts

Doesn't Windows just render all characters of the non-postscript font
to bitmaps of certain size and refer to those bitmaps when this
particular font is requested?
This seems to me as the easiest implementation.

A little bit like my solution; make a tremendously large kimage paper
(A0), export it as ppm, start xv and print to ps.

BTW: koffice has a great FAQ at its website; would this be a question
to include? It's kind of strange to be able to select a beautifull
font, only to find out that you get times (or so) when you print it:).

Leon

BTW: My signature is not targeted at office programmers in general,
only at those who are only in it for the money:) (and who could
those be?)
--
What are video games so much better      Leon Widdershoven
designed than office software? Because   l.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de