List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Is kword ready ?
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-09-01 9:01:57

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999, Leon Widdershoven wrote:
>What actually surprises me the most is that people who seem
>to be able to write, are not capable of reading.
>
>Posts like "it is alpha software", "some parts may be usefull,
>but don't count on it" and "WOW, it compiles!"
> are numerous,
>and still some people seem to conclude from this that koffice
>is directly competing with MS Office.
>
>And I don't get it. To get the sources, they at the very least
>had to visit the koffice web site. And as far as I can recall,
>it is stated very clearly there that this is a pre-alpha release.
>Maybe those people just go to the download links.
>
>Or they installed the koffice-rpm from their distribution. That
>is also possible.
>Maybe it would be an idea to ask distributors to include a
>warning message with their koffice apps. A shell script kword
>which starts with a dialog:
>"KOffice is a suite in the very
> early stages of development. It
> is not even alpha. Some apps
> may, or may not, work according
> to expectations.
> Do you want to continue?"
>
>But even then, I suppose, people still send complaints.

And could these people for which it crashes all the time send me detailed bug
reports (what did they exactly do, backtrace, etc.). Because I use already KWord
quite regularly and also KPresenter and in the last time I had more or less no
crashes, I mean I write with KWord documents up to 25 pages, tables, pictures,
frames, just everything (for testing I have a 200 pages doc) and I can use it
quite well without problems. So I'd really like to fix the crashes other people
experience (as I don't get them for some reason), because as you may have
noticed from my cvs logs, I'm at the moment mainly foxing and improving details
and not implementing new features, because KWord and also KPresnter have
already IMO nearly all fearures which are necessary for normal working, so I'm
at the moment try to make the apps as stable as possible before I continue to
add new cool features like e.g. serial letters (correct word?) for KWord.

--
Reggie