List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Is kword ready ?
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-09-01 8:53:35

What actually surprises me the most is that people who seem
to be able to write, are not capable of reading.

Posts like "it is alpha software", "some parts may be usefull,
but don't count on it" and "WOW, it compiles!"
 are numerous,
and still some people seem to conclude from this that koffice
is directly competing with MS Office.

And I don't get it. To get the sources, they at the very least
had to visit the koffice web site. And as far as I can recall,
it is stated very clearly there that this is a pre-alpha release.
Maybe those people just go to the download links.

Or they installed the koffice-rpm from their distribution. That
is also possible.
Maybe it would be an idea to ask distributors to include a
warning message with their koffice apps. A shell script kword
which starts with a dialog:
"KOffice is a suite in the very
 early stages of development. It
 is not even alpha. Some apps
 may, or may not, work according
 to expectations.
 Do you want to continue?"

But even then, I suppose, people still send complaints.

Well, thats just my opinion. I think koffice is great already,
and will be even greater. I'm already learning python now, which
seems to be the koffice scripting language, and I'm eagerly
awaiting the fine goods of the koffice team.

With the very best regards,
Leon

--
What are video games so much better      Leon Widdershoven
designed than office software? Because   l.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de