List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Question about kimageshop creation reasons
From:       Matthias Elter <me () main-echo ! net>
Date:       1999-08-24 9:25:12

> Am Die, 24 Aug 1999 schrieb Joeri Sebrechts:
> > I see you are creating an alternative to the gimp. Thereby creating
> > competition on the open source world.
> > I know the gimp doesn't really have an evolutionary future right now.
> > But is it really worth al that effort to recreate a program (kimageshop)
> > that already exists under the gpl ?

Whats your problem? Fair competition is a good thing! Look at KDE/GNOME, IMHO
both projects and free software in general benefit from the competition.
Competition helps to improve software. And by the way, KIS is not anti-GIMP, we
write a image manipulation app for KOffice, thats all.

> > I sure hope you're reusing the gimp code as much as you can.
> > Hey, maybe it's my problem. But, I find it annoying every time I see two
> > open source projects trying to build the same thing. Evn more so when
> > one of them (in this case gimp) has already reached a more or less
> > finished state. I find it such a waste of effort just when we (the open
> > source / linux community) need to try to make as much "different" apps
> > as we can as quick as possible. So as to overtake the desktop world with
> > open sourced apps.

I don't care about taking over the desktop world, I care about writing good free
software and free beer.

> > When the desktop is ours I don't care how many people try to write the
> > same app over and over. But untill then it's just slowing us down.

I'm free to write the app I'm interested in. Why do you think you are in the position \
to tell people which apps "the community" needs and which not?

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Elter
me@kde.org / me@main-echo.net