List:       koffice
Subject:    [Fwd: Koffice file format woes]
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-08-15 5:58:26

I thought you all might want to read that.

Werner

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 14:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Dr. Gene Scott" <genescott@geocities.com>
To: wtrobin@carinthia.com
Subject: Koffice file format woes

I read on the kde-koffice list about the proposed file format and got a
bit worried, I'm not sure how to mail the list so I'm mailing you. :)

Having the file format be a .tgz is not that great an idea.  To access one
element of a .tgz file you'll probably have to decode the entire thing,
it's not indexed storage in any way.  This would mean Koffice would only
be able to do two things: decode the entire thing into memory/disk or
decode the archive each time it needed to search for a file.  People are
going to want to make large things with Koffice.  Reading the whole file
into memory is just not an option with big files, and finding a single
file in a .tgz takes about the same ammount of time as un-tgz'ing the
entire file, which would be a horrible thing on large files.

As I see it, Koffice really would need an indexed file format.
Compression, if desired, would be done on a per-object stored basis, not
on a per-file basis.  The simplest way of thinking about this is instead
of having a .tgz, you'd have a .tar with each file inside being gzipped
and an index at the head of the tar pointing to the position of each file.
I think cpio/afio might already act this way but I'm not sure, it'd be
worth looking into though.

I would hate having to wait 15 minutes to read the cover page of a report
that also includes a large mpeg animation. :)