List:       koffice
Subject:    Katabase News... (weekly)
From:       Jim McCusker <jpmccusker () yahoo ! com>
Date:       1999-06-28 0:17:32

****** THE KATABASE WEEKLY STAR ******

A weekly publication by Maximegalon Productions.

Development news:

- Default engine has been decided
  After extensive search, analysis, and procrastination, I've decided that
the best way to go for a default, local (non client-server) database
engine will be a modified version of PostgreSQL. I decided on this since
a) it's a complete database engine with a query language already to go, b)
it uses a tab-delimited text file format, c) it's rather small (the whole
backend directory, which is the whole server, is about 5 MB), and d) these
guys really know what they're doing, and there's no reason to make a whole
new engine.

  This has a few ramifications:
 o The query language, for simpliciy, will be the one that Postgres uses.
If anyone has any real philosophical problems with this, please bring them
up. The language supports all sorts of neat cursors, as well as table
structure editing and modification, and anything else that you care to
find in a modern SQL language. Most activity will take place more or less
through the use of SQL statements, (plus the use of cursors) if I can help
it. If this becomes too unweildly, we can change this.

 o The file format will make import/export filters trivial. In fact, I
suggest that someone make some sort of filter editor (not just for
katabase, but for Koffice as a whole). This means that upsizing to most
SQL servers will be relatively easy, as well as upgrading to katabase from
legacy database software.

 o The CORBA interface will most likely closely follow the API of
libpgc++, unless it is unnecessarially crufty. Once again, philosophical
issues, etc.

- Code is actually available
  Recently, Michael Koch has actually put some code into the koffice cvs
repository, under the katabase directory. We all cheer this bold move.

In The Press:

Heh, I wish.

Et Cet:

If you would like to add news to this mailing, please send it to
mccusker@iname.com. If you've just added a cool new feature to katabase,
or if you've found a press item that mentions us, this may be a good place
to put it. If it seems like I'm taking my sweet time with it, just post it
to the mailing list yourself. Items here will appear on the web page just
as soon as we get around to it.
===
Jim McCusker | mccusker@iname.com http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect
"Another of Fortran's breakthroughs was the GOTO statement, which was a uniquely \
                simple and understandable means of structuring and modularizing \
                programs."
--May/June'94 IEEE Institute