List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice team is looking for webmasters
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-10-31 17:40:12

On Friday 31 October 2008 17:04:03 Alexandra Leisse wrote:

> > We should reach a consensus about cms before starting actions.
> > The cms discussion will go on :-)
>
> As the KOffice project seems to be willing to take care of the site
> anyway, I don't see any issues there. Which of course doesn't exclude
> using the same system when the webteam has made a decision.

If you really decide to set up a separate system please keep in mind that
there is much more in this than just getting it up for the first time. You
need to think about:
- Who maintains the technical infrastructure? Who applies security updates?
These are especially interestinging questions when bad things happen on
Saturday night.
- How are accounts managed? You don't want to get into a situation, where you
can't change the site anymore, because everybody having admin access is on
vacation. You also don't want people willing to help to maintain content on
KDE web sites to have to get an extra account for each and every KDE app,
because they run separated systems.
- How do you make sure that the content gets maintained? If only a few people
have access, content tends to get outdated pretty soon. We have seen this
several times already. Think spread.kde.org or even plasma.kde.org is not at
all up-to-date, although it uses a CMS.
- How are backups handled?
- Who is legally responsible for the site? You don't want to be privately
liable when you have to pay fees because someone put up a proprietary map or
something like that (And this is not a theoretical problem. The e.V. already
paid for the KOffice web site this way).
- What do you do, if the people move on whose preference the specific CMS was
and the people coming after that don't like it?