List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice:: Krita TRUNK vs. Eigen
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-09-13 19:43:01

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Thomas Zander wrote:
>
>> Which is in KDESupport :)
>
> Yes? That's not news, is it?
>
>> So just doing a make install in kdesupport would have been enough, as JRT did,
>> he was completely doing it correct and really didn't need to read commit
>> messages or specific files.
>>
>> Its templates based code, so if something like this fails I'm afraid the best
>> suggestion is to just do a clean make...
>
> He probably messed up something in his install. For a linux-from-scratch user
> he's generally not too good at compiling and installing from source.

Unfortunately, building from source doesn't always work correctly.  This
is usually caused by a problem with the source package.  This is why the
LFS distro exists.  While most packages install install with no problem.
  Some need patches, or extensive instructions to get them installed
correctly.

Sometimes, installations from source get corrupted, or things that you
did to get some other package to install screw up the installation of
other packages.  Obviously, my Eigen &/| Eigen2 installations were
corrupted.  I am puzzled about this since I have KDE4 TRUNK installed in
its own directory (/usr/local/KDE-Trunk) and delete the whole thing from
time to time as start over because installations of TRUNK do seem to
become corrupted from time to time because you never do a "make uninstall".

I asked the question because I recently finished spending considerable
time running down exactly what the problem was with KDE-4.1 BRANCH and
Strigi.  I think that that mystery is now solved.  I wondered if there
was an issue of a specific version requirement here.

I think that you will find that I am quite proficient at installing from
source.  Do you have most of your installation installed from source?

--
JRT