List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Standalone KOffice for Linux, Please
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-23 15:39:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 23. August 2008 15:58:21 you wrote:
> Thank you for replying Thomas.  I agree that there is confusion.   I
> have not found any instructions about how to run KOffice standalone.

I think thats because standalone is the default.

Just go to your package manager for your favorite distribution and install
KOffice.  It will not make you run KDE (just install a small number of shared
libraries[1]) and you can start KWord (for example) from within Gnome or
icewm.

Just give it a try :)

> Another person who responded suggested that kde-libs + kdebase-runtime +
> koffice would work, is that what you mean?   What I am after, in case I
> didn't explain clearly, is to run KOffice from a gnome desktop or an
> icewm desktop, etc., without installing all of kde.  Thanks for the work
> you do on KOffice.  I think KOffice would be a good choice even for many
> people for whom KDE might not be the right choice.  Regards, Larry Short

---
1) installing koffice on a clean system pulls in some shared libraries like Qt
etc.  Note that the amount of megabytes is still quite a bit smaller than
installing OpenOffice, so don't get scared off by this.
--
Thomas Zander