List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: status of PyKDE and Python KOffice bindings
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2008-08-01 7:22:57

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Bogdan Bivolaru wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to make a Python plugin for using KOffice to check out an ODF
> document from a SVN repository, modify it, make a diff and then check in.
> I've seen KOffice 2.0 is in alpha state, what's the status of the Python
> bindings in KOffice 2.0? What about Kross for KOffice?
> What's the plan ahead of us for KOffice?

For the KOffice libraries there aren't really bindings as there are for kdelibs,
so you cannot do an import "kotext" or import "kostore" in your python script.
But the kross bindings should be good enough and usable, with the proviso that
I don't think there are explicit commands to modify an ODF dom from within a
KOffice application, rather there are commands exposed that change the document
in terms of the application-internal object model. What is really needed is someone
who takes the current set of objects and methods exposed to Kross and who,
while writing scripts, makes notes of what's missing and adds those missing bits
to the scripting plugins.

Boudewijn