List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Why one more office project
From:       Terry <terauck-klist () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-10-19 0:06:23

John Meyer wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>
>> Daniel Carvalho wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I used to work with OpenOffice, and I'm wondering why one more office
>>> project? In fact there are some of them, and so, I can't see at
>>> KOffice web site stuff like objectives and mission of KOffice. What is
>>> the objective of KOffice facing other good open source and free Office
>>> app? (I think that KOffice is good too)
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Daniel de Souza Carvalho
>>>

>> I've made a start on developing a "vision" statement here :
>> http://koffice.wikidot.com/vision:main
>>
>> I'm hoping others will see fit to contribute.  I've made the category
>> "vision" open to non-members to edit.
>>

> Coming off this at a different angle, having multiple office suites
> lessens the chance that one will completely dominate the others.  I
> would not want OpenOffice to succeed because KOffice went under nor the
> other way around. If both of them survive then you have choice, and that
> is the ultimate reason for any free market, not just let the best suite
> "win".

We definitely need competition.  I've got this foolish notion of users
getting off their backsides and collaborating on a statement about what
they want, in the even more foolish hope that various developers would
take some notice.  KOffice developers seem to be very receptive and
responsive and I've heard good things about Novell developers of go-oo
but you can forget about any attempt to communicate with the other lot.

I imagine the problem is partly that many users of office software are
clerical types obsessed with trivia (such as page layout and formatting)
and incapable of thinking about much else.

--

Regards, Terry North

If you try to please everyone, no one will like it.