List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Why one more office project
From:       John Meyer <johnmeyer () pueblonative ! com>
Date:       2007-10-18 23:16:19

Terry wrote:
> Daniel Carvalho wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I used to work with OpenOffice, and I'm wondering why one more office
>> project? In fact there are some of them, and so, I can't see at
>> KOffice web site stuff like objectives and mission of KOffice. What is
>> the objective of KOffice facing other good open source and free Office
>> app? (I think that KOffice is good too)
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Daniel de Souza Carvalho
>>

> I've made a start on developing a "vision" statement here :
> http://koffice.wikidot.com/vision:main
>
> I'm hoping others will see fit to contribute.  I've made the category
> "vision" open to non-members to edit.

Coming off this at a different angle, having multiple office suites
lessens the chance that one will completely dominate the others.  I
would not want OpenOffice to succeed because KOffice went under nor the
other way around. If both of them survive then you have choice, and that
is the ultimate reason for any free market, not just let the best suite
"win".