List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: take KOffice out of Kde?
From:       Terry-67 <terauck-klist () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-10-06 8:20:13

Jaroslaw Staniek-2 wrote:

> Terry-67 said the following, On 2007-10-05 11:51:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Finding contributors will be the difficult part.
>
> Yes this is a problem. And contributors forming this part of community
> have to
> be rather long-term. So far we have not may folks that write articles or
> blogs
> on KOffice topic, no matter whether these are published under kde.org or
> koffice.org. We rather depend on 'media' people devoted to many KDE
> topics,
> not just KOffice.
>
> I also guess that the reason why people propose marketing KOffice outside
> of
> KDE is that KDE is still perceived just as a desktop, not as 1) a platform
> providing set of development technologies, 2) a culture of its own kind.
> But fortunately there's large coordiated work to improve this situation
> for KDE 4.
>
> (CC'd Aaron, he'll most likely like this topic)
>
> --
> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
> on
>   Kexi & KOffice: http://www.kexi.pl/en, http://www.koffice.org
>   KDE3 & KDE4 Libraries for MS Windows: http://kdelibs.com,
> http://www.kde.org

When I migrated from Windows to Linux, the one thing I had to ensure was the
availability of a spreadsheet application which could handle my spreadsheets
and which could be automated by scripting. I dismissed KOffice and Gnome
Office almost out of hand because I thought of Kde and Gnome as creators of
GUIs for the operating system for whom office software would be little more
than an "extra". First KSpread then AbiWord pretty well confirmed my
suspicions.

wikidot has been inaccessible today.  The site now has an explanation
available but before that I was completely in the dark and a little
disappointed by the lack of any notice.  I've set up an exploratory page at
http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Office_software_options