List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: take KOffice out of Kde?
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-10-05 16:51:02

Terry-67 said the following, On 2007-10-05 11:51:

> Would user sites be part of the kde.org domain?  Someone (yourself, IIRC)
> mentioned a forum.  I've got a site on wikidot.com and it seems to be an
> unbelievably good service.  I came across it through polishlinux.org which
> has a wiki there, as does TinyMe, a re-master of PCLinuxOS.  An easily used
> wiki (with forum if required and, later, blogs as well) could be set up
> there within a matter of minutes.

Re. wikidot and gazzillion other businesses, it's all consisted mostly of FOSS
components that many of us use and/or know already.
For example, I am a part of the team introducing KDE-blessed http://kde.org.pl
and http://forum.kde.org.pl. So we have no technology problem here.

> Finding contributors will be the difficult part.

Yes this is a problem. And contributors forming this part of community have to
be rather long-term. So far we have not may folks that write articles or blogs
on KOffice topic, no matter whether these are published under kde.org or
koffice.org. We rather depend on 'media' people devoted to many KDE topics,
not just KOffice.

I also guess that the reason why people propose marketing KOffice outside of
KDE is that KDE is still perceived just as a desktop, not as 1) a platform
providing set of development technologies, 2) a culture of its own kind.
But fortunately there's large coordiated work to improve this situation for KDE 4.

(CC'd Aaron, he'll most likely like this topic)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek