List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: take KOffice out of Kde?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-10-05 10:36:10

On Friday 05 October 2007 12:06, Terry-67 wrote:
> Inge Wallin wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > We have very informally spoken to some KDE centric distros, and if
> > KOffice 2.x
> > delivers, it may very well start to replace OOo as the default office
> > suite.
> > I don't expect that to happen before 2.1, though.
> >
> > Once 2.0 is out, I will start to contact more distributions about this,
> > but
> > it's a really long-term goal.  On the positive side, people do notice
> > KOffice, and I will have the second speaking slot after Aaron's keynote
> > at the KDE 4.0 release event in California. This means we have all of KDE
> > behind
> > us, and they also think that KOffice is an important project.
> >
> > 	-Inge
> >
> > <snip>
>
> Your notion of "long-term" seems short enough to me.  In view of recent
> friction at oo.o, the Novell version of OO for SLED seems like a possible
> contender for use by other distros.

Well, I meant that the fulfillment of the goal probably is long-term, not when
I/we start working on it.

> It seems as though post KOffice 2.0 would be a better time to start raising
> the subject of office software here and there.  I've found a positive
> response where I've mentioned KOffice so far.  It is seen as lacking
> features (I can't comment) and a "lightweight" alternative.

It indeed does lack features compared to OOo and it is also much more
lightweight.  What's nice is that it will continue to be lightweight also
after we have come to par with OOo feature wise. I agree that we should start
to raise the question already after 2.0 is released.

As I mentioned somewhere, I have been invited to give a speech about KOffice
at the KDE release event in California, and one thing that I will definitely
bring up is this very question.

> I'm thinking I could do some research on KOffice 2.0 (supposing the
> information is available) and start publishing it.

Sounds wonderful.  What do you want to know?

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |