List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: take KOffice out of Kde?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-05 10:24:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 05 October 2007 11:56:42 Terry-67 wrote:
> Improving accessibility is no big advantage commercially,

That depends; various businesses and certainly governments don't want to touch
our software if its not accessible.
With Qt4 its 98% accessible already, though.  All normal widgets will be
available for blind (/etc) users.
Its just the custom widgets (our canvasses are a prime example) that we need
to do a11y work on.

> I suppose but
> catering for the main O.S. is.

I bet it will make a big difference in how many people take it seriously, yes.

> Does the vision for KOffice include
> commercial and other network users?  Or is it strictly for mum, dad and the
> kids?

I can't speak for all of KOffice, but my vision is quite extended.  Though I
don't aim to reach this any time soon ;)
The plugin structure in KOffice is a testament to that, I expect companies to
write custom plugins to make their business processes run smoother.  I used
various usecases found in law offices in examples before.

Bottom line; my personal aim is to put the infrastructure in place for
advanced stuff (mostly done) and then build on that to make KOffice for
mum&dad and slowly expand into other markets.
Naturally infrastructure like paragraph/character styles and advanced
numbering I already added in KWord2-alpha can be argued to already exceed the
goal of mum&dad :-D

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander