List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Willing to help
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2007-07-25 10:33:55

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Sergio Hernandez wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm willing to help to the KDE Office project. I read & write well in English and \
> Spanish. I'm Industrial Engineer. I have some programming experience under MS \
> Visual Basic & Visual C#, but I'm learning C++ & QT4 in order to be useful to the \
> community. I've been developing solutions based on MSOffice & Visual Basic for \
> Applications during the past decade (mostly on Excel). So I have, as user and \
> independend solution provider, an idea what users expect from a Office suit. I'm a \
> "Windows refugee" trying Linux distros during the last year, until I finally decide \
> to use Kubuntu, so I'm using Feisty for 3 months now. So, how can I help?

First, check out the necessary sources:

qt-copy
kdesupport
kdelibs
kdepimlibs
koffice

from the KDE subversion repository. Getting them compiled may be the biggest hurdle, \
but it certainly isn't as bad as it may seem at first. You may need to install quite \
a few development packages from feisty beforehand: but many koffice developers use \
feisty and will be able to tell you which packages exactly.

After that, it's a matter of deciding which part you find most exciting. We can use \
                help
everywhere: file filters, the presentation and and the diagramming tool, user \
interface  clean-ups. There's always something interesting to do. There is lots of \
(fragmented) developer documentation at http://wiki.koffice.org. Currently really \
important are odf loading and saving: Jan Hambrecht, Sebastian Sauer and Thomas \
Zander are the gurus for that.

It's easiest to stay in contact with the other developers if you join the \
koffice-devel mailing list and try to hand out on the #koffice channel at \
irc.freenode.org.

Have fun and welcome!