List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Word Count For KWord?
From:       Graham <gct3 () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-05-22 21:16:59

On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:43:03 -0600
John Meyer <johnmeyer@pueblonative.com> wrote:

> > Its located in an obscure location, however, as I would not thought
> > of looking for a word count facility in File/Statistics.  Any
> > chance of migrating this one to the Tools menu?
> >

> I don't think of that as an obscure location.  Other word processors
> do keep something akin to Document Statistics in the file menu, such
> as author, date modified, and even number of words.

Well.....  Abiword and OpenOffice Writer both have a Word Count option
in the Tools menu.  I would reckon that most people would recognise
these as the other de facto standard word processors under Linux, so
there is a kind of standard.

The word count is not just a statistic with me, but a tool I need to
use to frame my university assignments.  It is also a requirement that
the word count be placed at the end of the assignment text, so again it
is a tool I use.

It might not have been so obscure a location (in the File Menu rather
than the Tools Menu) if the word count had been an expressly stated
menu item, but it just didn't occur to me that the Word Count would be
a Statistic, and so embedded in the Statistics submenu.  I understand
that Statistics do generally contain items like the date modified, the
date written, etc - just not the word count, and it IS an obscure
location to me :-)

I might not be the only one.  Users of KDE in my local computer club do
NOT use KWord because they believe there is no Word Count included in
it.  Today I was able to demonstrate that there is a method of getting
the word count.  However, could the developers of KWord consider
including a Word Count item in the Tools menu in future versions of
KWord?  That would bring it in line with the two other major Linux word
processors.

And if you could just click on the menu item and have an option to
include the Word Count in the text, I'd be REALLY happy :-)

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread BTW.

--

Graham