List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Which scripting language to use with KSpread?
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2006-12-05 5:25:14

Hi Terry,

Terry wrote:
> Last year I spent several weeks converting my Lotus spreadsheets to
> OpenOffice and the related scripting to StarBasic.  Since then, I've
> wondered whether I should have taken the plunge and used Python instead,
> although OpenOffice does not seem to cater well for Python scripting.

OpenOffice provides PyUNO (
http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html ) to use python. KSpread
supports also Python as well as Ruby ( see also http://kross.dipe.org ).

> With Python, on the other hand, I would have a language that could
> conceivably have other uses, whereas StarBasic is limited to OpenOffice
> and StarOffice.

Where I would just agree :)

> Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of the choices
> available for scripting for KSpread?

KSpread 1.6.x supports scripting with Python and Ruby. The upcoming KSpread
2.0 also supports Javascript.

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc