List:       koffice
Subject:    KOffice on OpenBSD (was: Re: Slooow Loading Kword Document)
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael.langerhorst () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-01-27 16:59:01

Am Sonntag, 22. Januar 2006 01:55 schrieb Dave Feustel:
> On Saturday 21 January 2006 19:14, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > > IHMO there are day in and day out way too many error/trace messages
> > > generated by kde programs. And it's the same messages every day.
> > > Makes me wonder why those errors weren't fixed before the code
> > > was released.
> >
> > Debug and trace messages are an important help when trying to solve
> > problems like yours. 99% of these infos are not errors but developer
> > informations. If you dont like these, switch it off:
> >
> > kdebugdialog
> >
> > Bye
> >
> >   Thorsten
>
> Actually I like getting the messages. I am one of those people who
> likes to use the -Wall option with gcc and then get rid of all the warnings
> as well as the errors. If I could get KDE to build for me on OpenBSD
> (I have never gotten the whole thing to compile error free, even when
> I try to build the OpenBSD-patched version of KDE), it would not be long
> before those error/warning messages were history (on my computer,
> at least). I figure I'll get it to build eventually, but maybe not before I
> get a newer, faster (AMD64-based) computer.
>
> Dave Feustel

Hi Dave & all,

This week I installed OpenBSD 3.8 on my laptop - after enjoying a two weeks
adventure with Linux (and before that I had FreeBSD for a _long_ time, so I'm
currently on my way back and thought checking out OpenBSD on the way wouldn't
hurt... right now I'm quite positively amazed by OpenBSD, so if all works out
fine I'll even stick to it).

Btw... as far as I can see, OpenBSD only contains KOffice as office suite
(besides Gnumeric, Abiword and such apps), but it doesn't contain
OpenOffice.org, so.... we have some responsibility to provide those systems
not offering OOo a good and functional office suite - this even includes all
64 bit systems, as OOo doesn't (yet?) work with native 64 bits (not on x86_64
hardware at least).

I'm currently looking into setting up a KDE development environment and all,
starting with compiling only KOffice against installed KDE libraries and as
soon as that works fine I'll install development versions of KDE (3.5 branch)
and build KOffice against that. With this I also hope to fix strange things
only happening on OpenBSD.

Status of all this is that the autotools have a bit of trouble figuring out a
few things (I could work around most of that), arts doesn't compile yet
either (so no KDE base soon... maybe I just wait for KDE 4). KOffice itself
OTOH already works quite well, there is a major bug in the generated
configure script, but that can be helped, and so far many components,
including koffice/lib compiled fine. So I guess I have a functional KOffice
(svn version) on my OpenBSD soon.

The laptop itself is already a bit old, only 1 GHz PIII, but I can live with
that. For the tedious stuff I use my amd64 system at home (which runs
NetBSD).

A word on KOffice on BSD: FreeBSD works just fine without patches, NetBSD also
works fine (I fixed a few issues during the 1.4 -> 1.5 dev cycle a while
ago), and now I'm looking at OpenBSD. All in all you can rest assured that we
are taking care of the BSD systems and make sure KOffice works there, without
any patching.

I also tested again (now with OpenBSD 3.8, KOffice 1.4.1) the document Dave
sent to the list a few days ago. It does load fine here (4-5 seconds
_including_ application startup on the laptop). So I can't reproduce. I do
notice though (everywhere) a short instance where the computer seems to do
nothing (or calculate a lot of stuff internally) but this only lasts for
about a second.

Regards,
Raphael