List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: generate printable output from odt file on commandline
From:       Markus Heller <markus () relix ! de>
Date:       2006-01-15 20:19:16

Dear List,

> > I need to do this from the commandline, without even an X system
> > installed. I want to run such a system on my server.
>
> Hmm, that is not possible with KOffice. At least KOffice depends on
> KDE libraries, which in turns need X libraries.

well, that's strange. I mean, I love LaTeX, and the fact that it may produce
printable files on the commandline, offers a fabulous number of use cases.

But it is a little complicated to learn and to write and this is the reason
why it has not reached a breakthrough in the common office environment. ODT
tries it now, but it lacks the scripting features.

I would love to see that there is a document format which has powerful and
widely accepted frontends AND which has scripting abilities.

What do you think, is it reasonable to split koffice into modules, allowing to
use the rendering engine as standalone software? Off course, I know that this
is a long-term issue which the developers will have to decide on :-))

But let me trigger ideas ;-)

Best wishes,
Markus