List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: install of KOffice on FreeBSD
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <Raphael.Langerhorst () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-11-21 12:51:16

On Monday 21 November 2005 12:31, Gordon Gilbert wrote:
> Hi Raphael!
>
> Thanks for your reply.  My mistake -- my version of FreeBSD is *5.3* not
> 5.2 -- I have had it here for quite a while, and I wouldn't dream of
> installing a new version of FreeBSD myself.  I leave that to my son the
> genius.
>
> I tried installing a new copy of postgresql, and it said something about
> backing up your data -- that postgresql doesn't do that.  What data are we
> talking about here?  I don't want to lose something, but I'm not sure
> where I should look for this data, and what to do with it.
>
> I do have most of KDE installed here, and I figured KOffice would be an
> easy install.  I do have an up-to-date ports tree -- I do a CVSup
> regularly, most recently as this weekend.
>
> At this point I just don't want to risk losing stuff with that postgresql.
> Perhaps you can help.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Fr. Gordon+
>
>  	+=====================================================+
>
>  	|                 Angels' Roost Farm                  |
>  	|       Rev. Fr. Gordon Gilbert & Susan Gilbert       |
>  	|                   705-549-5056                      |
>  	|                gord@angel.eicat.ca                  |
>  	|                susan@angel.eicat.ca                 |
>
>  	+=====================================================+

Hi Gordon,

if you don't use PostgreSQL, then you don't have to worry about it. The
installation is only talking about PostgreSQL database data, not your regular
files on the computer.

An easy way to check this is to look for

postgresql_enable="YES"

within /etc/rc.conf
If you do NOT have this entry, or if it is set to "NO", then you don't use
PostgreSQL for sure. Otherwise you have to consider what applications you are
running - are you running a PHP web-software that uses PostgreSQL? Or
anything else - ask your son probably. If so, just update your data as the
install output suggests.

Regards,
--
Raphael Langerhorst