List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Generic names for Karbon and Krita
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-07-06 9:42:22

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 10:01, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 08:38, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 July 2005 21:54, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > The cumbersome generic names for Karbon and Krita have irked me
> > > for a long time and today Alan Horkan sent me a patch to
> > > shorten them a little to "Paint" and "Paint Component" and
> > > "Draw" and "Draw Component" respectively. Before committing,
> > > I'd like your opinions about this, though. A Good Thing and all
> > > that? Or not?
> >
> > Hmmm... difficult question I'd say. Every KOffice component has
> > an individual name right now. So I think it would be either to
> > change ALL component names or none. What I could think of so far
> > is:
>
> I don't to change the appliction names; it's the generic name in
> the desktop files. For Karbon that's "Scalable Graphics" or
> "Scalable Graphics Component", which is a bit cumbersome.

I see, already guessed I have missed something ;)

> > Reasons for changing names:
> > + people don't have to remember so many names
> >
> > Reasons for sticking to current naming scheme:
> > + individual names give the components some personal touch
> >
> > And what's the difference between paint and draw anyway?
>
> Well, one is with pixels and the other with vectors -- but those
> are technical terms. Maybe make it paint and illustrate?

Hmmm, I personally(!) can't say whether illustrate would be a vector
or pixel based application. Thus I would - IMHO - suggest "Vector
Graphics" and "Pixel Graphics". I think people are even used to these
expressions, especially the ones using these applications on a
regular base (IMO).

Regards,
--
Raphael Langerhorst