List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Generic names for Karbon and Krita
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-07-06 8:01:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 08:38, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 July 2005 21:54, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > The cumbersome generic names for Karbon and Krita have irked me for
> > a long time and today Alan Horkan sent me a patch to shorten them a
> > little to "Paint" and "Paint Component" and "Draw" and "Draw
> > Component" respectively. Before committing, I'd like your opinions
> > about this, though. A Good Thing and all that? Or not?
>
> Hmmm... difficult question I'd say. Every KOffice component has an
> individual name right now. So I think it would be either to change
> ALL component names or none. What I could think of so far is:

I don't to change the appliction names; it's the generic name in the desktop
files. For Karbon that's "Scalable Graphics" or "Scalable Graphics
Component", which is a bit cumbersome.

> Reasons for changing names:
> + people don't have to remember so many names
>
> Reasons for sticking to current naming scheme:
> + individual names give the components some personal touch
>
> And what's the difference between paint and draw anyway?

Well, one is with pixels and the other with vectors -- but those are technical
terms. Maybe make it paint and illustrate?

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi