List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-06-29 16:15:30

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Homer 911 wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 18:34, you wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> The problem is "KOffice will NOT compile on my system which happens to be a so
> called KDE 3.4.1 Environment".
>
> Is is unreasonable to expect that an Open Source Package would include the
> basic files needed to compile ?

Yes. It is unreasonable to expect that a KOffice source package will include
all the packages you need to compile it. Very unreasonable, in fact. Nobody
would be helped by us including the source for all the dependencies in the
source tarballs.

However, it is not unreasonable to expect your distribution to package
everything necessary to compile an open source package. However,
most distributions split the libraries from the files necessary for
development. You need to find out how your distribution has called the
development packages -- and since you have omitted to tell us which
distribution you are using, we cannot know.

> Is there any Distribution of Linux which actually includes all of the
> necessary files for KDE 3.4.1 (THat actually works that is).

3.4.1 is a little too recent; no currently available distribution will include
that out of the box. So, since you say you've installed that already, simply
install the dev packages from the same source you got the binaries from.

Boudewijn