List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: PR and the release of KOffice 1.4 (beta)
From:       Lukas Smith <smith () backendmedia ! com>
Date:       2005-04-27 19:13:48

Inge Wallin wrote:
> Fellow KOfficers,
>
> It is with some hesitation that I write this mail...
>
> What we have in front of us is the release of the most comprehensive free
> office suite in existence. It might not be the best if you look at it and
> compare it to the other office suites component by component. Let's be honest
> with ourselves here; for instance both Gnumeric and  Oocalc is better than
> KSpread and KWord is not as good as neither Abiword nor Oowriter.
>
> What we do have, however, is a more comprehensive suite than any other.
> Abiword and Gnumeric might be very good, but the concept of Gnome office is a
> joke (and you Gnome people who are snooping here would do good to be honest
> with yourself as well. :-) ). And the much heralded Open Office doesn't have
> a counterpart to neither Kexi, Kivio, Karbon nor Krita.
>
> In addition to that this office suite is, in contrast to all others, well
> integrated into the most used and popular free desktop environment on the
> face of the earth.

I think you are making a good argument here.
You have to make exactly this argument as you aptly point out each
single piece has serious competition on the "free world". So the
argument has to be the fact that its provides most of what you need in a
highly integrated package with a few highlights not matched any where else.

regards,
Lukas Smith
smith@backendmedia.com
   BackendMedia