List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: The real reason for an OASIS database?
From:       David Goodenough <david.goodenough () btconnect ! com>
Date:       2004-05-23 17:12:27

On Sunday 23 May 2004 16:34, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2004 15:26:48 PM +0000, Raphael Langerhorst
>
> (raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at) wrote:
> > What about Rekall? I haven't used it so far, but AFAIK it is the
> > closest thing to Access there is (?)
>
> Please do not top post, and do not retransmit a whole message if it
> isn't really needed. In the second place, did you read my post? I'm
> talking of database file *formats*, not of what you use to read and
> write them.
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marco Fioretti
Why on earth should a non-geek user care about file formats.  How a
DB stores its data is entirely up to that DB.  Yes there might well be
common export and import formats (CSV never was up to complicated
data), but not the actual data format.  I suppose the only possible
reason would be so that you could eMail a DB in the same was that
you eMail a document, but then it would have to be compatible with
Access itself, or all the Windows users would not be able to use it and
unfortunately they are rather in the majority right now.  Do you
actually want to send the whole DB, or just bits of it?

David