List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: what are the advantages of being a koffice app?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-05-23 16:05:35

On Sunday 23 May 2004 16:18, BARTKO Zoltan wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> It may be a stupid question, so maybe you will just navigate me to a place where to \
> RTFM... Accept my apologies, if it were so.
> I am planning to create a KDE front-end to my project, client/server system for the \
> support of ISO 9001-based quality management systems.  For the time being it has \
> document management, message sending and task assigning capabilities, but it is \
> under development with the initial release to be done yet.  For the impatient: see \
> http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?aspiramus (there is not a lot to see \
> there, though)
> My question is: what are the positive aspects of building the front-end as a \
> KOffice app? Ok, I get KChart, KDGantt, but what else?

* A nice document/view/mainwindow framework which reduces the amount of code you'll \
                have to write
* The ability to embed other KOffice components into your own documents
* The ability to embed your own document into existing KOffice components
* A standard filter architecture (to make it possible to write file-format conversion \
filters as pluggable modules)

Generally, if your application doesn't produce printable documents, then it
doesn't really need to be a KOffice component; if it does, it will gain from
using KOffice's framework.