List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KSpread : first attempt at an outline for a new handbook
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-04-11 17:14:24

On Thursday 08 April 2004 22:33, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm posting this to the kde-doc-english and koffice
> lists and cc'ing it to the kde-quality list.
>
> Please don't reply to all. To keep traffic down I
> suggest that all reactions are sent to the koffice
> list.
>
> I have finished a rough outline of the subjects that I
> would like to cover in a new KSpread Handbook.
> [...]

Hi Marc,

first off, it's a great outline. Also PLEASE note that I'm no expert on office
applications - I use them (mostly) only on a regular "user" base and haven't
really read much literature. However, here are some comments on the various
chapters, since I'm very excited about this new manual:

1. Introduction
[general]
History - IMHO - is good, it provides people with a much broader view of the
subject, and knowing how many application actually exist(ed) it gives them a
bit of comfort with engaging on KSpread - as a "new" instance of spreadsheet
applications - besides: I don't know much about spreadsheet history (and am
interested in the details :) I think this applies for all office
applications. (ok, this might be off-topic but shows what I mean: many people
got in contact with computers when in the office area mainly MS stuff was
used, so these sometimes don't even have an idea that something else exists
and giving those people a broader view will get them more comfortable with
other applications - or excited to learn about... the MS world normally
doesn't tell anyone that there _is_ something else.

The outline structure and intended content looks OK to me. Some installation
instruction is good - although, as is hinted in the outline, most of it
should go into the general KOffice handbook - as soon as it exists at
least ;)

[suggestions]
hmmm... I would suggest to move stuff after (and including) "1.4.2 Templates"
to the next chapter, it's "application content" (as I would put it) and the
title "First Impression" would also fit better for that. Maybe create a new
chapter "2.1 First run" for this. But that's just my opinion of course.

2. First Impressions
[general]
I think it's perfectly fine to discuss look & feel _after_ the "first
run" (see above) since the user has actually seen the app by then and can
more easily appreciate what's written.

The Interface: good, IMO: first describing what's there and then how to
customise things.

no further suggestions, it looks good.

3. Building a spreadsheet
[general + suggestion]
It seems that especially this chapter and parts of chapter 4 have much in
common with the existing KSpread manual. Maybe to start with parts of it can
be copied in? Although it looks to me that you want to give a much wider view
on the subject... so they have to be reviewed in the end as well.

[/suggestion]
"3.6.2.5. External references" contains a development question I'm not able to
answer. Anyone?

4. The dynamic spreadsheet
[general]
yes, that one will be interesting to read.

5. More than numbers
[general]
OK

6. Functions
[general]
OK

7. Formatting
[suggestion]
what about putting this chapter between 3 (Building a spreadsheet) and 4 (The
dynamic spreadshee)? I know 4 quite nicely builds on top of chapter 3 ... but
I *think* in terms of needed knowlegde for the user the topic "formatting"
fits very nice between those two - in terms of expertise. Also it provides
the reader with some variety and doesn't demand such a high patience from the
user for the same topic in one run (I consider 3 and 4 to be of a similar
nature). But again, just my point of view.
Note that I wouldn't suggest this for printing, since printing is something
completely different one would just read up when it's needed - so it's ok to
keep it close to the end.

Chapters 8 and 9 are fine.

[suggestion]
Chapter 10 might include D-BUS if it is by then a topic for KDE (as far as I
found out D-BUS might play a role in KDE4).

[general]
The rest of the book seems to look OK to me, chapter 12, 14 and 15 taking a
big part, I know, but I have no comments on them.

[general suggestions]
Although there is a dedicated tutorial section I wouls also suggest to put
very simple examples into the first part of the book, this normally helps the
user/reader to understand the current topic (I am one of those readers). For
longer examples it is of course better to put a reference to the tutorial
section.

[final words]

As I said I am very happy that this work is being done. Documentation usually
is a sign of quality for a product (for me it is at least) and makes it
"standard-user" usable I think. Those are used to read a whole book on
something and taking much time to learn it - if they need it for their work
for example. So it's good to have it.

Best Regards,
Raphael