List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: users book about KOffice
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-02-16 7:20:34

sorry, I was totally occupied during the weekend...

so here come some answers from me...

On Friday 13 February 2004 16:03, Thomas Zander wrote:

> [...]
> The problem is that with traditional publishers there is no in-between
> these two; you either publish it the slow way for print, or you do it
> online in e-book form for free.  I have seen an amazingly little amount of
> books that successfully came to print after being online first.

I believe that. How is/was the situation with ... for example ... the KDE 2.0
Development book? Anyone knows that? Was it also "heavily" printed?

> From what I understand the main problem is one of cost, printing a book
> costs loads of money and with the problem of fast aging of content no
> publisher is going to invest in it without ridiculous contracts etc.
>
> The goal of sourcebeat is to combine all this into a working solution.  You
> can buy the always-up-to-date version on their website. Well; license it
> actually, for a year.  Price is quite low. (Just right IMO)
> This brings in money to keep the author(s) interrested in providing
> updates. This also brings in money to do a print of the content.  Printing
> 1000 copies in Germany and shipping it to all surrounding countries is
> viable. (traditional publishers can't be bothered with less then 50.000
> prints)

I didn't write a direct statement about sourcebeat so far... but I think it's
an interesting model for publishing, but is it compatible with having a
downloadable version on www.koffice.org? Or is it "allowed" to copy good
parts of it between the manual and the book? Just asking to make sure it
would work...

> All in all; you _really_ want to create a revenue stream from writing this
> book. If not for personal gain, then for printing and advertising the book.
> If you don't I'm pretty sure the book will never be finished.

That's surely an interesting point. I think that creating a "revenue stream"
is partly a reason for writing a book. How big the part is depends on the
person. The way I see it is that some things simply need to be done and I
work accordingly. And if, by doing so, some money is earned, it is also ok. I
personally just have to see that I do enough things for earning money to make
a living. But as I have almost no expenses I currently am able to work
according to my principle - do what needs to be done. In the case of such a
book it would also be written out of neccessity, only to a very little extend
out of earning money. But as I said, the case here is surely different
between every person.

If a book gets written - what way ever - I would be happy, and probably others
as well. But I alone wouldn't have the time for it, so if there are a few
people here that would like to work on it I surely would also help when and
where I can. And as discussed before, the online docs are also important,
they should be OK before writing a book - but for KWord, KSpread and
KPresenter they are already quite good, aren't they?

greetings,
Raphael