List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem importing MsWord documents in Kword
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-13 16:27:01

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 17:28, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the KWord package in Debian unstable (KWord 1.2.95 using KDE 3.1.5
> and libwv2 0.2.1) and KWord freezes importing most of my MsWord files. From
> the command line this error is repeated many times
>
> ASSERT: "bottom > top" in ../../kword/kwframelayout.cc (492)
> ASSERT: "top < bottom" in ../../kword/kwframelayout.cc (244)
>
> The Gui freeze and I have to kill KWord.
>
> I have send one file some times ago to David Faure who had no problem opening
> it on his computer. I'm wondering if the problem comes from a weird
> configuration problem or the Debian packages.

No, I can reproduce the problems with this document.
The footnote layout is really a problem (especially when there are many of them,
there are more than 100 in this document).
Seems kword puts so many footnotes on the same page that there is no room for the text
there anymore, and it ends up in an infinite loop trying to make room for it.